Lightning Europe Playoff Extravaganza!!!:
- The Austrian EHL season concluded Wednesday and Marek Posmyk's Linz Black Wings finished out of the money in 6th place of the 7 team league. Posmyk finishes the year with 7-4-11 with 68 penalty minutes and a dsturbing -19 rating in 34 games. Lord knows my commemorative "Pylon Defensemen Rick Dudley Traded For" limited edition lithograph wouldn't be the same without Marek standing side by side with such giants as Kristian Kudroc, Mathieu Biron and Bryan Muir.
- Ivan Rachunek's Znojmesti Orli team also finished out of the money in 11th place in the Czech Extraliga. Rachunek contributed 2-4-6 with 26 penalty minutes and a -5 rating in 29 games.
- After enjoying a first round bye as the 2nd seed Eero Somervuori's Karpat club began their playoff quest today beating Tapparra 2-0. Eero was held scoreless in the opener. However, he did manage to win the Lightning Europe scoring crown for the 2nd time in 3 years with 16-26-42 in 56 games with a +15 rating and 14 penalty minutes.
- 6th seeded Adler Mannheim squeaked by Nurnberg 5-4  in their opening game of the best of seven series against the Ice Tigers today. Sascha Goc was held scoreless with 4 shots on goal. Goc turned in a painfully boring 1-4-5 in 39 games with a -3 rating and 67 penalty minutes during the regular season.
- Anton But and the 4th seeded Yaroslavl Lokomotiv won a nip and tuck battle with high powered Kazan 2-1 today to take a 1-0 lead in their best of five series. But was held scoreless by Lightning netminder Nikolai Khabibulin but he did, for the third year straight, hoist the coveted Lightning Russia scoring title with 12-21-33 in 60 games.
- Johan Hagglund's Hammarby will not be playing for promotion to the Elitserian by virtue of their ugly 2-10-2 Superalsvenskan record. Johan went 1-1-2 in 13 games with 20 penalty minutes and a -6 rating in the Superalsvenskan. In the previous phase he contributed 6-6-12 with 30 penalty minutes and a +11 in the Alsvenskan Sodra division in which Hammarby finished 3rd.
- Timo "Bling Bling" Helbling helped the Kloten Flyers avoid relegation by winning their opening round "Playout" series 4-1 over Lausanne. Helbling chipped in 1-3-4 in 5 "playout" games adding 8 penalty minutes. Helbling had 2-9-11 in 44 games during the regular season to chase his Lightning Europe penalty minute crown winning 118 penalty minutes.
If only the NHL would make the Panthers "playout" with some of the other bottomfeeders of the league.